Has anyone ever used tank water for their plants?

• My wife swears that you can and I think that sounds disgusting! lol

She said that you can use fish tank water to water plants and vegetables as it has nutrients for the plants. If we are eating the vegetables though, wouldn't that make us sick?

• Plenty of people do - it's the whole premise for “hydroponic systems” that take waste (from fish) and will use it as plant food since their waste is high in many nutrients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Plenty of people do - it's the whole premise for “hydroponic systems” that take waste (from fish) and will use it as plant food since their waste is high in many nutrients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I didn't consider this but I did look into it when I first read your message a week or so ago and I am mind blown. A lot of people grow herbs and such indoors with systems where the plants receive food and also clean the water. Neat!

• If you’re treating your tank with chemicals to fight some sort of disease or algae, then fish tank water might not be good for plants.

This is a really good point, something I did not consider!

Yeah, this would be bad to water plants with and later eat. Thanks for pointing this out as I would not have otherwise even thought about this!

• I would say it depends on what you use in your tank for the water as to whether it would be safe for your plants. If you are using some chemicals in your water, I would definitely check to see if they would be safe to use for plants before using the water to water the plants. I can fully understand why many would want to use their tank water for their plants as it saves water and prevents waste which is great, and I know many people that do just that, but I know they don't use chemicals that can harm their plants.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!