How do you get others to learn before jumping in?

• Since many people kinda just believe what store employees may tell them, how do you get others (who you may or may not know) to do research and learn the actual steps of setting up an aquarium before doing so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I always recommend watching videos on YouTube. Not only can you learn from different people, but if the person in the video is making a mistake, the comments will call it out. It is really good for learning about different tank setups and what it takes to maintain them. You can learn a lot about different fish too!

• I 100% agree with Li0nFish here - show them some good articles, or videos that go over the concepts. I try to also show them the negatives (such as sick fish, tanks not taken care of correctly, etc.) to show them that a little knowledge beforehand can seriously make these fish thrive and act as they would in the wild, in your own tank.

• I 100% agree with Li0nFish here - show them some good articles, or videos that go over the concepts. I try to also show them the negatives (such as sick fish, tanks not taken care of correctly, etc.) to show them that a little knowledge beforehand can seriously make these fish thrive and act as they would in the wild, in your own tank.

I remember watching a video where a woman got a tank recommended by a pet store worker, it was a round one. The people in the comments pointed out how bad these are for fish and how stressful these sorts of tanks could be. She went back and changed everything and apologized.

• Are you asking what resources one should recommend to others to get them to care for their fish appropriately, or are you asking how one should go about convincing them that it's important to care properly for fish in the first place?

• I think it's important to approach the topic of getting others to learn before jumping into setting up an aquarium with a combination of patience and understanding. Not everyone may be aware of the necessary steps and precautions, and it's our responsibility as experienced aquarists to guide them in the right direction.

One way to encourage others to do their research is by sharing reliable resources and educational materials. There are plenty of books, online forums, and websites dedicated to aquarium setup and maintenance. Recommending these resources to beginners can help them gain a better understanding of the process and the importance of proper care for their fish.

Additionally, leading by example can be influential. If others see that you are dedicated to learning and implementing proper aquarium practices, they may be more inclined to follow suit. Sharing your own experiences, successes, and challenges can also help them realize the value of doing their due diligence before diving into the hobby.

Engaging in open and respectful discussions can also be effective. Instead of simply telling others what to do, try to have a conversation with them. Ask questions about their intentions and goals for setting up an aquarium, and then provide them with information and advice based on their specific needs. This approach can help them feel more empowered and motivated to educate themselves.

Lastly, it's important to remember that not everyone may be receptive to learning or taking advice. Some people may have preconceived notions or simply be stubborn. In such cases, it's best to respect their decisions while still offering support and being available to help if needed.

Overall, the key is to be patient, understanding, and informative when encouraging others to learn before jumping into setting up an aquarium. By providing reliable resources, leading by example, engaging in discussions, and respecting individual choices, we can help promote responsible fishkeeping practices within the community.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!