How much do you spend on fish?

• It seems like fish are getting more and more expensive these days. To fill a standard 30 gallon, it has to cost well over $40 at this point. In some cases more depending on what kind you buy.

A friend of mine just did a new 30-gallon tank and got 10 fish in total and it cost him nearly $60 which seems very expensive to me. Have prices gone up?

How much do you tend to spend when you stock a tank?

• It seems like fish are getting more and more expensive these days. To fill a standard 30 gallon, it has to cost well over $40 at this point. In some cases more depending on what kind you buy.

A friend of mine just did a new 30-gallon tank and got 10 fish in total and it cost him nearly $60 which seems very expensive to me. Have prices gone up?

How much do you tend to spend when you stock a tank?

True! Prices have gone up and it is indeed expensive to set up a basic aquarium with all the elements and fishes you love.

• Around the price range you stated seems pretty normal for me, but I personally prefer fish to cost a bit more as it encourages people to take their care more seriously.

This is true I suppose. The more you pay, the more inclined you are to care for them. I don't think this is the reason the prices have gone up so much though. I would guess it has to do with inflation and import fees.

• This is true I suppose. The more you pay, the more inclined you are to care for them. I don't think this is the reason the prices have gone up so much though. I would guess it has to do with inflation and import fees.

I am sure that is true, though I still used to think fish were underpriced anyway. So long as people are motivated to take care of them, I don't care if it's really just because of inflation.

• I am sure that is true, though I still used to think fish were underpriced anyway. So long as people are motivated to take care of them, I don't care if it's really just because of inflation.

For some yes, it would seem that way. I know you used to be able to get goldfish for $3-$7 but now they are $9-$16 at the local petshop so if you plan on buying a tank with just those, you will be spending a lot more!

• Those prices sound about right if I am honest, I had been taking a look myself just out of interest at how much it would cost to set up and fill a tank and at first, I did think it was a bit steep but the more I thought about it, the more I thought that if they are more expensive to get they are more likely to have been cared for pretty well before coming with me to their new home. I have in the past gone with fish that have been a lot cheaper for me to afford due to budget and I found that those fish didn't last as long as I expected, and I really feel like it was the care of them prior to getting into my care.

• When it comes to our beloved hobby of keeping fish, we all know that costs can add up quickly. From setting up a new tank to maintaining an existing one, there's always more to spend on. That being said, I'm curious: how much do you spend on fish?

Personally, I'm always trying to balance my love for the hobby with my budget. But it's tough, especially when there's always a new species or piece of equipment I want to add to my collection. I try to be frugal where I can, but I still find myself spending a decent amount on fish-related expenses each month.

So, what about you? Do you budget carefully or do you let yourself indulge in the newest, shiniest equipment and fish breeds? How much do you think is an appropriate amount to spend on fish per month or year? Let's discuss and share our tips for keeping our expenses in check while still enjoying our passion for fish.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!