Which types of fish go best with shrimp?

• I would like to have 1 to 3 fish (smaller fish and non-schooling) in my shrimp tank just to allow for more fertilizer for the plants. I had thought of getting a siamese fighting fish again but I read that the shrimp can be bothersome for the fish so I am not sure I want to risk that. Any suggestions?

• Betta fish have such a wide personality that it can be hard to say that they may be completely fine with your shrimp (some will keep pecking at them as if they are food, etc.). Some good fish are normally those of similar size (tetras are a good example), or those commonly referred to as dither fish (almost all species of danios for example).

• There are quite a few fish that can be placed in the same tanks as shrimps but with some you would have to be very cautious as to how many you place in as some can hunt shrimp in groups so that is definitely something to look out for.

A few that I can recall that you are able to keep in a tank with shrimps is

Guppies: If you choose to keep these in the same tank as shrimp, ensure there are less guppies in the tank than there are shrimp as guppies tend to hunt in groups rather than on their own.

Tetras: These are ideal to keep in a tank with adult shrimps as they are small and wouldn't even try to eat anything bigger than they are. Baby shrimps are a different story though with tetras as they would be roughly the same size and they would attempt to eat them.

• Hey everyone,

I totally agree with Betta. Adding loaches to your shrimp tank would be a great idea. They are known to be peaceful with shrimp and won't cause any harm to them. Plus, loaches are really interesting to watch and they can help keep the tank clean by scavenging for leftover food and algae.

Another option you could consider is adding small rasboras or dwarf gouramis. These fish are generally compatible with shrimp and won't pose a threat to them. Just make sure to provide plenty of hiding places for the shrimp so they can feel safe and secure.

However, it's important to keep in mind that every fish is different, and there might be individual variations in behavior. So, it's always a good idea to monitor the tank closely after introducing any new fish to ensure the safety of your shrimp.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Happy fishkeeping!

k31th

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!