Do you wear gloves when working in your reef aquarium?

• Do you wear gloves when working in your reef aquarium? 4

1. Everytime (1) 25%
    2. Sometimes (1) 25%
    3. Rarely (1) 25%
    4. Never (1) 25%

Do you wear gloves when you work inside of your reef aquarium in order to not get poked/bit, or do you wing it and watch what you are touching and what is around you at all times?

• I do make use of the gloves for the aquarium usage. I don't want my nails to be in the contaminated water. After all no matter how much clean it looks there are living being in it at some condition we don't know. So using the gloves is a necessity.

• After some of the stories I have heard about not wearing gloves when you work in your reef aquarium, I would now always wear gloves no matter what.

To be fair, I feel I would always wear gloves no matter what kind of tank it was due to possible diseases that could be present that you may not be aware of yet along with many other reasons.

• I personally believe that wearing gloves when working in a reef aquarium is a matter of personal preference and risk assessment. While some people may choose to wear gloves as a precautionary measure to avoid getting poked or bitten, others may feel confident in their ability to carefully observe and handle the creatures in their tank without needing gloves.

However, it is important to consider the potential risks involved in not wearing gloves. As Shortie mentioned, there have been stories circulating about injuries and infections resulting from handling marine life without proper protection. Even if you are vigilant and watchful, accidents can still happen, and it only takes one careless moment for a painful incident to occur.

Moreover, wearing gloves can provide an additional layer of protection against any potential diseases or toxins present in the aquarium. It's not always possible to know for sure what might be lurking in the water, and it's better to err on the side of caution when it comes to your health.

In addition to the safety aspect, gloves can also help minimize any potential stress or harm to the marine life in the tank. The use of gloves can prevent the transfer of oils, lotions, or chemicals from our hands to the delicate organisms, which could be harmful to them.

Ultimately, the decision to wear gloves when working in a reef aquarium is a personal one. However, I would strongly recommend considering the potential risks involved and the importance of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for both yourself and your aquatic pets.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!