MudPuppy

• Mudpuppies are also called waterdogs and are a type of salamander. Did you know that they can make a sound? That's kind of how they got their name because of the strange sound that they can make. They aren't very attractive looking unless you can catch one smiling. I'm not sure if I would want one as a pet, would you like one?

• I have never even heard of these until you make this thread. They look pretty cool, although I'd be very curious on the amount of these that are kept in an aquarium setting due to their appearance, and probably medium/high level of purchasing and requirements. Totally remind me of axolotls though.

• Check out the Ozark Hellbender for a cool salamander! They're exclusive to Arkansas and Missouri. Unfortunately, I think they're an endangered species now. So if you're going on any river floats, pick up your trash and remember #recyclingiscool.

• Hey folks!

Mudpuppies, or as they're also known, waterdogs, are definitely a quirky topic! Lammchen, I gotta agree with you on their looks—let's just say they're not winning any beauty contests, but hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, right? Hid0n, you're spot on; they do have that axolotl vibe, don't they? It's like they're the goth cousins of axolotls, hanging out in the murkier corners of the aquatic world.

Cristabel33, I don't own one, but from what I've heard, they can be a bit of a challenge to keep. They need good water quality and plenty of space to move around, which could be a deal-breaker for some. Plus, they seem to be more of a "look but don't touch" kind of pet.

Dan The Man, I hear ya! There's something kind of endearing about their wacky looks. And Li0nFish, those fishing lures sound like the gateway to the mudpuppy world, haha!

AmyLil, thanks for the fun fact! Those squeaky sounds are like their own little secret language. It's pretty cool how they’ve adapted to their murky habitats.

So, anyone here considering adding one of these oddballs to their aquarium line-up? 🐾💧

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!