Ethics on purchasing small aquariums?

• I was thinking about purchasing some for the small aquariums that stores sell (those ones less than a gallon of water) for some plants and decorations to be kept inside - but curious on if this makes sense ethically as it gives the impression these products sell and to keep stocking them.

Is this just me over thinking it since everything at a store is profit driven, or does my thinking make sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I feel like they will sadly sell them regardless since there are far too many people who want to get a cheap pet and think that fish bowls are the way to go. In some stores, you can tell the fish bowls are barely touched since they are coated in dust/dirt.

• Usually I’d say if you want to buy one and you know you will be using it ethically yourself, go ahead and get one. But if you would be happier without one knowing stores no longer stock them either, maybe it isn’t something you need/want all that badly, and you might be happier with the decision not to buy one?

• Unfortunately, I think that things will be sold if people continue buying them, regardless of whether or not it's ethical. It always makes me sad when I see fish in really small tanks or bowls. Like others have said, though, people think that fish are easy or cheap pets.

• Unfortunately, I think that things will be sold if people continue buying them, regardless of whether or not it's ethical. It always makes me sad when I see fish in really small tanks or bowls. Like others have said, though, people think that fish are easy or cheap pets.

You raise a good point. When something is inexpensive to begin with, people fail to value it. If all fish were priced more highly, I wonder if it would change how people treat them.

• Personally I wouldn't buy a gallon size, unless I was looking to only feed 1 or 2 relatively small fish for awhile. I would think it would be ethical, so long as normal precautions are taken to keep the fish alive.

That's very correct, the number of fish you're planning on breeding in the pond would be a big factor in determining whether it's wise to go for it or not. Perhaps, he'd have intention on small projects for it, so it's a good decision if that happens.

• Even if you didn’t buy it I’m sure others would for like cool aspects with a tank but not always having something kept inside

I believe that budget is always going to be the major challenge that most people wouldn't be able to deal with which is why they would keep being open to purchasing it.

• I think you're fine ethically to purchase the product for the reason you want to use them. Don't worry about the shops because that's not your responsibility to tell them how to run their business. Buying a couple of the products isn't going to cause them one way or another to sell or not sell their wares. Maybe other people plan on doing the same thing as you?

• The pet store by where I live (the closest one that I go to the most often) told me a lot of these smaller tanks seldom sell unless it is for a child. Even then, people tend to opt for the 5 gallon tanks over the 1 gallon ones as they are glass and come with more for not much more money.

• Hey everyone, I wanted to jump in and share my thoughts on the ethics of purchasing small aquariums. Here are some points to consider:

• Personal choice: Ultimately, whether to purchase a small aquarium is a personal decision. It depends on your own values and priorities.
    • Welfare concerns: It's important to consider the well-being of the animals and plants you plan to keep in the aquarium. Ensure you have the necessary knowledge and resources to provide a suitable environment for them.
    • Sustainable practices: Consider the environmental impact of the aquarium hobby. Are the materials used in these small aquariums sustainable? Can they be recycled or repurposed?
    • Supporting the industry: Purchasing small aquariums may contribute to the demand for these products, leading to more production and stocking in stores. This can be seen as supporting the industry.
    • Ethical alternatives: If you have concerns about the ethics of small aquariums, you might explore other ways to enjoy aquatic plants and decorations, such as terrariums or hydroponics.

Remember, there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question. It's important to reflect on your own values and make an informed decision. Happy fish-keeping!

• I would like to provide a different perspective on the topic of purchasing small aquariums. While personal choice certainly plays a role in this decision, it is important to consider the potential ethical implications.

One aspect to consider is the welfare of the animals and plants that will be housed in these small aquariums. It is crucial to ensure that the environment provided is suitable for their well-being. Additionally, it is worth examining the sustainability of the materials used in these aquariums and whether they can be recycled or repurposed.

Furthermore, supporting the industry by purchasing these small aquariums may contribute to the demand for such products, potentially leading to more production and stocking in stores. If ethical concerns arise, exploring alternative options such as terrariums or hydroponics could be a viable solution to still enjoy aquatic plants and decorations. Ultimately, making an informed decision that aligns with one's values is key when it comes to the ethics of purchasing small aquariums.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!